Sunday, September 4, 2022

U.S. Supreme Court

From watching both Parts I and II videos I learned even more than I already learned last year taking you. I also decided to read a couple of articles and also learned from those as well a lot of new things about the constitution, as well as the court. Personally, I am not someone who follows or is big into politics, so every day it seemed in class I am learning something new that I did not prior to walking into that class period.

Parts of US Constitution have not aged well. A short series about reform. -  Vox

A big thing I learned was the court system. There are three separate courts which include the district court, appellate court, and lastly the supreme court. In the district court, they only go off of facts instead of a person's opinion which can be taken to the appellate court to appeal whatever ruling is made. Once taken there can optionally go to the supreme court or get sent back down to the district court. As well to that there are federal and state, the federal government can put things out although ultimately the state has to agree with whatever that may be. What is going on today with the covid vaccine is a great example of this I think.

Algorithms Should've Made Courts More Fair. What Went Wrong? | WIRED

A few more interesting things that I found were that 16 years is the average term for a supreme court justice, and there have only been just over 100 of them. For as long as the United States has been around I think that is a fairly low number. A cool thing that I think is that they go off of a 200-year-old Constitution which is very interesting to me because it was written so long ago and still applies to what goes on every day, not very many things are like that. Along with that, the supreme court receives about 7,000 cases a year and then they only accept about 100 of those. Then lastly an important thing I think is that the Justices shake each other's hands every time.


With all that I am once again looking forward to this class as I was last year. I think I will learn a lot through the semester and even be able to apply it to life as well as make my own judgments and opinions. Let alone just this topic I have been able to do so and am looking forward to doing that with plenty of other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment